1. Sprinkle chicken with salt. In 12-inch skillet cook chicken in hot butter and oil over medium-high heat for 10 minutes, turning often. Using tongs, remove chicken, keeping butter and oil in skillet. Set chicken aside.
2. Add onions, shallot, garlic, and bay leaf to skillet Cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring to scrape up browned bits.
3. Return chicken to pan. Sprinkle with thyme and pepper. Add wine and broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 45 to 60 minutes or until tender, spooning juices over chicken. Remove chicken. Cover; keep warm. Simmer onion mixture in pan, uncovered, 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf.
4. To serve, transfer chicken to platter. Sprinkle with mint. Serve with onion mixture and Peas and Rice. Makes 4 servings.
5. Peas and Rice: In saucepan cook 2 cups fresh or frozen peas in boiling salted water, covered, until tender (10 minutes for fresh, 3 minutes for frozen). Drain. Plunge in ice water; drain. In 12-inch skillet cook 1/2 cup sliced green onions in 3 tablespoons melted butter for 1 minute. Add cooked peas, 1/4 cup torn mint leaves, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. sugar. Cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in 3 cups cooked rice and 2 Tbsp. reduced-sodium chicken broth or water; heat through.