|all-purpose flour (unsifted): 1/2 cup|
|unenriched yellow cornmeal: 1/3 cup|
|granulated sugar: 2 tsp|
|baking powder: 1 tsp|
|unsalted butter: 1 Tbl|
|pecans (chopped): 1/2 cup|
|light brown sugar (packed): 2 tsp|
|ground cinnamon: 1/4 tsp|
|whole apples (chopped): 8 cups|
|sweet cherries: 1/2 cup|
|light brown sugar (packed): 1/3 cup|
|lemon juice: 1 tsp|
|water: 1/4 cup|
|half and half cream: 1/3 cup|
1. For topping, in a small bowl stir together flour, polenta mix or cornmeal, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.
2. In another small bowl combine the pecans, the 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; set aside.
3. For filling, in a large saucepan combine the apples, cherries, the 1/3 cup brown sugar, the lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes or until fruit is almost tender, stirring occasionally. Combine cold water and cornstarch; add to saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Keep hot.
4. Add the 1/3 cup half-and-half or light cream to topping mixture, stirring just to moisten. Transfer filling to a 2-quart square baking dish. Using a spoon, immediately drop topping into small mounds onto filling. Sprinkle with pecan mixture.
5. Bake in a 375 degree F oven 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean. If desired, serve with additional ice cream, half-and-half, or light cream. Makes 8 servings.
6. Pick-A-Fruit Polenta-Pecan Cobbler: Omit apples. Substitute pitted cherries, blueberries, sliced peaces, or chopped rhubarb.